19 07 2013
Moving SharePoint 2010 web application to claims-based authentication
Lately I migrated one intranet site from SharePoint Server 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010. During migration moving to claims-based authentication (CBA) was also needed. In this posting I will show you how to move those NTLM accounts to CBA with couple of simple steps.
Here are the steps that worked for me:
- Make backup of content database on SharePoint Server 2007 machine.
- On SharePoint Server 2010 create new web application that uses classic authentication. Give content database some easy to remember name.
- Restore content database you backed up to SharePoint Server 2010.
- Run stsadm to attach this database to your site.
- Delete content database that was created with web application.
- Make sure your application works on SharePoint Server 2010.
- Run the following PowerShell script on SharePoint Server 2010 machine:
- Make sure you can open site without getting access denied error.
- Make sure user name are shown on user details form as CBA ones.
You can find more information about migration and troubleshooting from TechNet article Migrate from classic-mode to claims-based authentication in SharePoint 2013. Although title refers to SharePoint 2013 there are chapters that target only SharePoint 2010.